Rice cooker congee is ideal for breakfast, or served as a steaming sizzling bowl of consolation for a sick liked one. the flavour is gentle and balanced, and may have you feeling higher very quickly. Discover ways to make a simple and comforting congee in your rice cooker with simply 6 easy substances. It is a palms-off recipe: set it to prepare dinner, stroll away, and are available again for a heat, satisfying meal.
there are such a lot of simple and scrumptious recipes you can also make with the rice cooker. my favorites to this point are my garlic rice within the rice cooker, rice pilaf within the rice cooker, and now this congee within the rice cooker.
congee, or rice porridge, is a humble dish made with rice and water. the rice is simmered in a considerable amount of water till it absorbs all it may possibly, then softens and expands. because the rice grains break down and the water thickens, they mix to create a porridge.
In numerous components of Asia, congee is served with completely different toppings and toppings, reminiscent of dried and shredded pork, pickled greens, fried shallots, dried shrimp, and way more.
- professional suggestions
- incessantly requested questions
- extra rice cooker recipes
- rice cooker congee (rice porridge)
- When you attempt to prepare dinner congee with the lid closed and no porridge within the rice cooker, you threat the porridge boiling over and spilling out of the cooker. the rationale that is taking place is that the liquid is boiling on excessive warmth and the rice cooker is sustaining that temperature whereas making an attempt to evaporate all of the water. cooking with the lid uncovered will enable the congee to prepare dinner at a decrease temperature, with the liquid simmering till it reaches the specified consistency.
- cooking the congee on the porridge setting (as a substitute of cooking it with the lid uncovered), cooks it in about the identical period of time.
- For this recipe, the ratio of rice to water is 1 to twenty (¼ cup of rice to five cups of water). cooking it for about 50 minutes makes the porridge a medium-thick consistency, which is what I choose.
- When you choose a thicker congee (extra rice with much less liquid) add extra rice or much less water. or you’ll be able to let the congee prepare dinner in a single day. remember that the longer the rice sits within the broth, the extra liquid it’s going to take in.
white rice: lengthy or quick grain rice can be utilized. i normally make my porridge with jasmine rice as i grew up consuming it that manner.
Broth: Once I make congee on the range, I normally make it with an entire hen or hen components with bones. for the rice cooker (shortened model), I exploit hen broth so as to add additional taste.
aromatics: Garlic and ginger are important taste enhancers. i really like incorporating them for his or her well being advantages when my children are sick, plus it makes the porridge odor so scrumptious and tempting!
Hen: Add some protein and extra taste.
kosher salt: enhances the flavors.
Rice Cooker: I am utilizing the rice cooker, which holds 6 cups of raw rice. There’s a porridge setting, you’ll be able to simply set it to prepare dinner and stroll away.
don’t be concerned, you do not want a rice cooker on a porridge setting to make this recipe (learn the professional suggestions beneath).
1). wash the rice 3 times with water to scrub it. drain effectively by means of a colander.
2). add the rice to the pot together with the hen, garlic, ginger, and salt.
3). add hen broth and water and blend all substances. set it to prepare dinner in porridge settings.
if you do not have a porridge setting, set it to prepare dinner, leaving the lid uncovered, and prepare dinner for about 45-50 minutes.
4). after about 45 minutes the rice cooks the place it’s smooth and thickened. the consistency is medium thick with not an excessive amount of or too little broth.
serve garnished with inexperienced onions and chopped bell peppers. Different concepts for a Vietnamese-model congee embrace cilantro, fried shallots, some Chinese language donut (my favourite!), and when you like spice, attempt including sambal oelek chili sauce with a squeeze of lime.
incessantly requested questions
extra rice cooker recipes
Love a recipe you’ve got tried? Please depart a 5-star ranking on the recipe card and a remark beneath! that can make my day! let’s be associates! comply with me on social media @ instagram, pinterest. tag me @apeachyplate while you attempt a recipe!