This sumeshi (or vinegar sushi rice) recipe offers you completely plump and seasoned sushi rice that may be topped with contemporary slices of fish, in temaki (hand rolls), california rolls or spicy tuna rolls This recipe will take you from the start of constructing rice in a rice cooker to correctly mixing flavorful seasonings over chunky rice granules utilizing a conventional hangiri (or different extra accessible instruments across the house). You can begin your sushi rice in a rice cooker, however you could have to end seasoning exterior of the cooker. let’s get began!
sort of rice cooker to use
Whereas there are alternatives for microwaving, stovetop cooking, or steaming rice which can be additionally pfa-free, utilizing a rice cooker remains to be the best, quickest, and most handy approach with good outcomes. To make sushi rice, I favor to use a rice cooker as a result of it is a straightforward, palms-off technique to get completely plump, moist grains of rice with out worrying about boiling the water or overcooking it. and you realize that the outcomes will at all times be the identical so long as you precisely weigh the rice and water.
varieties of rice to use
Historically, sushi rice is made with quick-grain white rice, however you can too use medium-grain white rice in a pinch. Rice is made up of two totally different starches: amylose and amylopectin. the upper the quantity of amylopectin in a grain of rice, the stickier its texture after cooking.
You need to keep away from lengthy-grain rice since you want a stickier, starchier consistency for sushi rice. quick grain rice (and medium grain rice) have very excessive quantities of amylopectin and are good for making sushi rice.
A few of my favourite manufacturers for sushi rice are tamaki gold quick grain rice, koda farms kokuho rice (medium grain), and koshihikari quick grain rice. I like to purchase quick grain rice at any native asian grocery store like mitsuwa or 99 ranch.
ratio of rice to water for sushi rice in a rice cooker
To get the proper consistency for sushi rice, stick to an easy-to-remember 1:1 ratio of rice to water. meaning for each cup of sushi rice, it is best to add one cup of filtered water. if you would like to make multiple cup of rice, comply with the identical ratio:
- Serves 2: 1 cup short- or medium-grain rice, 8 fluid ounces filtered water
- Serves 4: 2 cups short- or medium-grain rice, 16 fluid ounces filtered water
For all of the manufacturers of quick-grain rice we have examined, the 1:1 ratio above is identical; nonetheless, in the event you need assistance troubleshooting the consistency of your rice, chances are you’ll want to alter the quantity of water for future batches .
in case your rice is just too onerous, you want to add extra water. I like to add water in 2 tablespoon increments and microwave the rice for 30 seconds (coated with a towel) till fluffy and easy in texture. In case your rice is just too comfortable, sadly, you could have to restart from the start and scale back the quantity of water by 2 tablespoons or extra, relying on how moist your rice’s present consistency is.
do you want to wash the sushi rice?
It is vitally vital to at all times wash the rice you put together earlier than cooking it, and extra importantly, sushi rice. i wash my sushi rice a number of occasions till the water is totally clear. washing the rice removes extra particles and starch from the surface of the grains. you need your sushi rice to be plump and prepared to season, not too sticky or mushy from extra starch.
seasoning for sushi rice
If you happen to’ve ever had sushi earlier than, chances are you’ll discover that the rice is seasoned, not solely does it style like white rice, but it surely’s coated in a candy, salty, and barely vinegary seasoning. For this recipe, we use a fundamental three-ingredient recipe: rice vinegar, white granulated sugar, and kosher salt with a customizable 1:3:3 ratio.
This ratio of seasonings will give it a barely candy and vinegary style, however in the event you favor your sumeshi to have extra taste, you possibly can add extra rice vinegar in 1 teaspoon increments. in the event you like a sweeter style, you possibly can add extra sugar in one teaspoon increments.
Rice vinegar will be purchased at your native grocery retailer nowadays, however make certain it is labeled rice vinegar and never “seasoned rice vinegar” as a result of the latter has added sugar, which we do not want.
The best approach to make the seasoning is to add every part to a microwave-secure bowl and warmth for about 20-30 seconds till all of the components have dissolved. You too can make it on the stovetop over low warmth, but it surely’s a lot sooner and simpler in a microwave.
recap: making sushi rice in a rice cooker
- Measure all rice and water with a kitchen scale or the suitable measuring cups for moist and dry. This can assist you get essentially the most correct measurements, that’s, a foolproof kitchen! use a strainer to assist rinse out all the surplus starch and residue in the rice. in the event you do not rinse the rice, you might find yourself with an excessive amount of starch and a consistency that’s too comfortable or sticky.
- comply with the directions in your rice cooker. I cook dinner quick grain rice on the traditional setting and simply press begin. after it is carried out cooking, I like to let the rice relaxation in the rice cooker with the lid closed for about 5 minutes to eliminate any extra moisture. I open the lid and switch off any heating settings to stop the rice from overcooking.
- Spray water all around the inside the hangiri, ensuring all sides of the hangiri are saturated with water. Pour the remaining water into the sink.
- switch the recent rice to the hangiri (if you do not have a hangiri, you can too use a giant shallow mixing bowl and a flat spatula). Pour the seasoning over the rice as evenly as potential, and use your rice paddle as a approach to distribute the rice.
- Use your rice paddle to gently reduce into the rice and start mixing the seasoning into the rice grains. some individuals like to use a fast however easy movement to reduce the lumps out of the rice and blend in the seasoning. do not strive to push the rice in since you’ll be mashing it up as a substitute of blending it.
- You need separate grains of rice which can be fully coated with the seasoning. After seasoning the rice effectively, easy it out and canopy it with a damp towel to stop the rice from drying out or getting chilly whilst you put together the sushi. you need the rice to be barely above room temperature, however not chilly.
- use sumeshi in your subsequent california roll recipe, spicy tuna roll recipe (with kewpie and sriracha), or how to make handmade rolls (temaki sushi recipe).