heard concerning the can of milk dinner on america’s check kitchen radio podcast in june 2014. it is a one-pot meal, which i attain for for effectivity’s sake, and it sounded intriguing. Mainly, you layer crimson potatoes, cabbage, corn on the cob, carrots, onion, and sausage in a big pot and use a pale beer coloration because the steaming liquid. I attempted it and the outcomes have been scrumptious. I’ve completed it, or elements of it, a number of instances since then with a few variations.
I take advantage of our 20-quart inventory pot when making this for a crowd. if I lower it in half, I depart the cabbage in and cook dinner it within the Dutch oven we use for casseroles and tomato sauce.
attempt it someday. you will not remorse it.
canned milk dinner serves: 10-12 prep time: quarter-hour complete time: 1 hour
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3 lbs. contemporary bratwurst (15 sausages)
- 3 lbs. small crimson potatoes, unpeeled, rinsed
- 1 head napa cabbage, quartered
- 6 ears of corn, cleaned and lower in half
- 6 carrots, peeled and lower into ~2″ items
- 2 onions, peeled and lower into 8 wedges
- 10 sprigs of contemporary thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. floor black pepper
- 1 12 oz. bottle of sunshine beer
- 2 inexperienced bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and lower into 1″ squares
- lower the brats in half. Warmth the oil within the stockpot over medium warmth. working in batches, brown snots, about 2 minutes per aspect. set the golden brats apart. drain the oil from the pot.
- Pour the potatoes into the pot. prime with quartered cabbage adopted by corn, carrots and onions. sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Tuck the bay leaves and thyme into the greens.
- Place the brats on prime of the greens. Pour beer over all, cowl, and convey to a boil.
- scale back warmth to maintain cooking simmering; you wish to see a bit steam come out whenever you take away the lid. cook dinner for quarter-hour. add the bell peppers and cook dinner for a further 10-quarter-hour. You possibly can mood the sausages in the event you’re involved they will not be cooked by (160°F is the magic quantity). I attempt to poke a potato and a carrot to ensure they are not nonetheless onerous.
- If in case you have a big sufficient bowl or platter, you’ll be able to fastidiously dump every part into it. for a big group, I favor to separate the sausage, corn, and sprouts (which I lower into smaller items after cooking) into separate bowls. the potatoes, carrots, onions and peppers find yourself collectively in one other bowl. this enables meals to move across the desk extra shortly. I attempt to put at the least a few of the cooking liquid in a measuring cup so it passes by as properly.
notes: The unique recipe requires a “gentle-bodied American lager, reminiscent of Budweiser.” I am a little bit of a beer snob and I haven’t got any buds at dwelling nor will I purchase them only for the recipe. I’ve used smuttynose shoals pale ale previously and extra not too long ago used sam adams porch rocker. each labored fantastic. put on what you take pleasure in.
As I advised within the introduction, this recipe can simply be halved in the event you’re not serving a mob. I pass over the cabbage, scale back the remainder of the components by half minus the quantity of beer. what number of sausages you cook dinner is absolutely as much as you. I’d go for at the least 10 (that is 2 packs the place I purchase). I actually ought to improve the variety of sausages to twenty for the complete recipe; they’re the most effective half.