Exactly how to make Korean castella cake (honey sponge cake) making use of pre-mix.
Among my childhood years much-loved treats is castella cake (honey sponge cake). It’s wonderful, soft and also a well made variation of it thaws in your mouth!
My mother made use of to utilize this cake when she made some wonderful rice cake spheres (Gyeongdan 경단).
At That Time, I really did not recognize that the beginning of castella was Nagasaki, Japan. (In Japan, castella cake is called kasutera and also in Korea we call it 카스테라 빵.) No matter, castella is an incredibly popular cake/ bread in Korea and also many individuals like it.
Easily, there is additionally a pre-mix variation of castella you can attempt also.
I just discovered it a couple of months earlier. I was really pleased due to the fact that despite the fact that the genuine components that enter into this cake appear straightforward, many individuals stated that it is a rather a challenging cake to cook from square one. So why not attempt a pre-mix variation?!
Regarding I recognize, there is just one Castella pre-mix brand name in Korea and also it is called Beksul Castella Mix by CJ. CJ’s preferred pastry shop brand name Tous les Jours is additionally associated with item advancement also.
Regrettably, they do not have English guidelines for this cake mix, so I believed I will certainly equate it for you.
Though simply intend to comment that just like numerous Korean guidebooks, there was some obscurity in the guidelines, so I included my individual suggestions and also remarks based upon my very own experiment at the end.
Right here it goes.
Item Details & & A Checklist of Various Other Active Ingredients and also Devices You Will Certainly Require
- Item name– Beksul Castella mix (by Tous les Jours)
- Made by– CJ
- Acquisition rate– around AUD $4.00 at a Korean supermarket (under 3,000 won in Korea)
- Weight– 300g (This package offered me concerning 8 to 10 tool sized piece of Castella.)
- Components– Flour mix 100g (2 nd from the left in the picture), Sugar mix 140g (3 rd) and also Corn syrup 60g (4 th )
- Trouble degree– Tough (created on the back of package)
- Various other components you require to provide
- 3 big eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 20 ml milk
- Cooking devices you require
- Huge working/ blending dish
- Hand mixer
- Cooking spatula
- Cooking paper
- Cake tray
Exactly How to Make Korean Castella Cake Utilizing Mix (per Maker)
- Include 3 eggs, 1 egg yolk, sugar mix 140g and also corn syrup 60g right into a massaging dish and also mix them with a hand mixer over rate for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Include the Flour mix 100g right into the dish over (action 1) and also swiftly mix it in with the spatula. (If you mix it for as well long, the Castella can obtain crunchy, so look out.)
- Include the milk and also mix well.
- Put the dough right into the cake tray (hide 2/3 of the tray) and also bang the cake tray on the board gently a number of times to get rid of air bubbles.
- Placed the cake tray in all-time low of the pre-heated stove and also cook it at 150C to 170C for 30 to 40 minutes. (Change the moment by examining the cake throughout the cooking as it will certainly be various depending upon the kind of the cake tray and also the stove.)
- Take the Castella out and also cool it down. Offer.
For finest preference
- Utilize hand mixer if you such as to taste “genuine” Castella.
- You can take pleasure in the additional wet Castella if you consume it after covering it with thankful cover for 2 hrs when the Castella entirely cools off.
- You can additionally embellish the cake with fresh whipped lotion and also fresh fruit (e.g. strawberries)
- Pre-heat the stove at 150C (300F).
- Obtain the eggs and also leave them at space temperature level for 30 minutes.
- Location the cooking paper on the cake tray prior to you begin making the combination.
My Tips and also Suggestions
- I pre-heated my stove at 170C (325F) for 10 minutes. (I have an electrical stove with 56L ability and also it’s not follower required.)
- Screen the sugar mix (from action 1) and also the flour mix (from action 2) prior to including them in to stay clear of any type of swellings.
- The setup for the hand mixer I made use of was high (arrays in between reduced and also high) and also rate 3 (arrays from 0 to 5, with 5 being the highest possible).
- I baked the Castella at 160C (320F) for 40 minutes.
- I cool down the cake on a shelf (still in the cooking tray) for 20 minutes.
- It goes quite possibly with cozy milk.
- Crust is not as dark as the photo on package as well as additionally it had a rather crater looking surface area.
- The Castella reduced a great deal while it was cooling. It obtained wrinkly to some extent so it looked much less appetising contrasted to when I initially took it out of the stove
Appearance and also preference
- It was extensively prepared total (no undercooked or overcooked location) and also it was soft. Nevertheless, the leading and also lower crust was a little bit sticky and also it really did not remain on the cake. Indicating as I was reducing the pieces, the crust obtained stayed with my fingers.
- It tasted similar to I remembered it needs to be.
I believed any type of pre-mix variation of cakes or cookies are less complicated to collaborate with and also you can constantly anticipate an above ordinary result.
However, this set had not been simple! (I additionally reviewed a great deal of individuals fell short to function effectively with this mix on the web and also even more carefully I saw my sibling making essentially “uneatable” Castella a couple of weeks back and also we wound up tossing the majority of it away. For your details, she prepared it on 170C for 30mins and also it was undercooked inside and also scorched outdoors!)
I was additionally really interested exactly how CJ handled to present such an effective looking Castella cake on package cover. Possibly with aid from Photoshop?
No Matter, it is an extremely practical means of developing an immediate Castella cake. However, I make certain it can not defeat the genuine Nagasaki Castella specifically in appearance and also preference!
Korean Castella Cake Mix (Honey Sponge Cake)
- Beksul Castella mix
- 3 big eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 20 ml milk
Include 3 eggs, 1 egg yolk, sugar mix 140g and also corn syrup 60g right into a massaging dish and also mix them with a hand mixer over rate for 5 to 6 minutes.
Include the Flour mix 100g right into the dish over (action 1) and also swiftly mix it in with the spatula. (If you mix it for as well long, the Castella can obtain crunchy, so look out.)
Include the milk and also mix well.
Put the dough right into the cake tray (hide 2/3 of the tray) and also bang the cake tray on the board gently a number of times to get rid of air bubbles.
Placed the cake tray in all-time low of the pre-heated stove and also cook it at 150C to 170C for 30 to 40 minutes. (Change the moment by examining the cake throughout the cooking as it will certainly be various depending upon the kind of the cake tray and also the stove.)
Take the Castella out and also cool it down. Appreciate!
Nourishment Details (per offering)
The nourishment details revealed is a price quote supplied by an on the internet nourishment calculator. It needs to not be taken into consideration a replacement for a specialist nutritional expert’s recommendations.