Lengthy gradual braising magically transforms these braised Greek lamb shanks into succulent mouthwatering morsels! the braising liquid, infused with spices and contemporary herbs, is decreased to a wealthy and flavorful sauce. however it’s the garlic and lemon juice that add the “yum, good” taste to those lamb shanks and savory sauce.
Garlic and lemons are frequent in Greek delicacies and these wealthy and flavorful lamb shanks are complemented by these highly effective flavors. these simple braised lamb shanks are too good to save lots of for particular occasions, get pleasure from anytime or for a late-evening Sunday dinner.
what are lamb shanks?
Lamb legs are lower from the backside of the back and front legs of the animal. usually the shank on the hind foot shall be bigger and meatier. the leg a part of the animal will get a whole lot of train roaming the pastures and may be very muscular. an extended, gradual cooking methodology is required to interrupt down the connective tissues. braising is an effective way to prepare dinner this lower of lamb.
Take a look at extra of our simple stew recipes like these Crimson Wine Braised Quick Ribs or our Cider Braised Pork Tenderloin with Apples.
Are lamb shanks costly?
Shank of lamb has been touted as “low cost” as a consequence of its robust, muscular meat. This lower has grown in reputation and so has the value. a mean American leg of lamb that weighs 1-1/2 kilos usually sells for round $10 a pound. Personally, I discover it dearer, however I am unable to resist and embrace it in my finances sometimes.
easy methods to make Greek Lamb Leg Stew:
that is quite simple and there may be little or no apply, since the oven does most of the work. you will be rewarded with a wickedly scrumptious important course of tender and succulent lamb! that is the quick model of the recipe, please scroll to the recipe card beneath for full directions.
Stew at all times begins with good seasoning of the meat and deep browning. I really like my Dutch oven for this as a result of it is deep sufficient for the braising liquid that ought to cowl three-quarters of the legs.
- step 1. In a small dish, mix the garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, and paprika. sprinkle the lamb shanks generously with the spice combination, rubbing over the total floor.
- step 2. In a 6-quart Dutch oven or deep pot with a lid, warmth slightly oil over medium-excessive warmth. add the lamb shanks and sear till properly browned on all sides. switch to a plate.
- step 3. Utilizing the similar pot, add the onion and prepare dinner till the onion is delicate, about 3 minutes; then add the garlic and prepare dinner for 30 seconds. add wine, broth, and lemon juice. Tie the thyme and rosemary with kitchen string and add to the pot. add oregano and bay leaves.
- step 4. return the seared lamb shanks to the pot. the lamb shanks ought to be about 3/4 coated with the liquid, if not add extra broth or water. Carry pot to a boil, cowl pot, and switch to a preheated 325°F oven. prepare dinner till meat may be very tender, 2 1/2 to three hours.
- step 5. switch lamb shanks to a plate and canopy with foil to maintain heat.
- step 1. Pressure cooking liquids by a positive mesh strainer right into a saucepan, urgent down on the greens with the again of a spoon. Discard any solids left in the strainer, scoop out, and discard as a lot fats as potential from the floor of the strained cooking liquids.
- step 2. return strained braising liquids to medium-excessive warmth. deliver the stew liquids to a boil and prepare dinner till decreased to about 2 cups. about 5-10 minutes.
- step 3. Combine two tablespoons of cornstarch with 1 / 4 cup of chilly water and stir into the braising liquid. prepare dinner sauce till barely thickened, then switch to a plate.
- Roasted Rack of Lamb with Garlic and Rosemary – With a wealthy, buttery texture and distinctive taste, a rack of lamb makes a powerful important course for a particular ceremonial dinner. our Rosemary Garlic Roasted Rack of Lamb elevates this dinner from “particular” to “further-particular.”
- Lamb Stew with Garlic Polenta – Our Lamb Stew with Garlic Polenta recipe is so scrumptious! the stew is filled with tender chunks of lean lamb and greens swimming in a richly flavored sauce made with wine and contemporary herbs
- Herb Braised Legs of Lamb – If you’re a lamb lover like our household, I wager you’ll love this Herb Braised Leg of Lamb recipe! the meat is tender and stuffed with taste due to the mix of herbs, wine and beef broth. and wait till you attempt that sauce, it is excellent with mashed potatoes.
make the sauce:
You are going to love these tender, meaty lamb shanks served on prime of a mound of mashed potatoes with that wealthy lemon sauce drizzled on prime. Hmm!
A lamb entrée is one way or the other an Easter custom in our household. we at all times unfold out the desk and collect as much as fifteen relations for this occasion. It’s not like that for this Easter Sunday that makes historical past, it can solely be my husband and I in a confinement in the home. ? We’ll miss being with our household at this annual Easter Sunday household occasion, however we’ll be having fun with these Greek Lamb Stews collectively!
I want you all a really blessed Easter! ❤️
different recipes with lamb that you’ll certainly love:
join with savor the finest:
comply with us on our social media accounts
fb * instagram * pinterest * youtube * twitter
did you make this recipe? We’d love to listen to from you. go away us a remark beneath.