Bangkok Thai Cooking Academy-Day 11 | The Midwest Mediterranean
greetings from bangkok! one other good day within the kitchen. I used to be pondering immediately, as I used to be reducing up actually small shallots, how a lot better my knife expertise have gotten. this college is instructing me greater than thai recipes however giving me cooking expertise with objects i usually would not use very like woks, steamers, coconut shredders, mortars, carving knives and so forth. Though I miss my household and mates again dwelling, this has been a beautiful expertise to this point and I sit up for doing it once more sooner or later in different international locations as nicely.
Some new components I labored with immediately embrace smooth tofu (it was so smooth and gelatinous) and Chinese language salted black olives (they’d large pits, wow). I’ve to scrape coconut from a contemporary coconut immediately and I realized how you can put together it. contemporary coconut would not hold very lengthy, a few day or two within the fridge… so it’s important to add a little bit salt to the shredded coconut, combine after which steam it for about quarter-hour or so to maintain it contemporary for longer.
Additionally, I went to the bakery subsequent door to purchase a few of the objects I’ve used in school for dwelling… a lot inexpensive than shopping for on-line, so much… I checked. I simply remembered just a few extra issues I would like… I assume I will be again tomorrow after class!
my stations immediately have been very colourful with all of the greens and sauces. I ought to point out that after we prepare dinner, in case your dish appears to be drying out within the wok, there may be at all times rooster broth on the cooking station to place in your plate. it principally cooks on web site… if it seems to be dry or goes to burn/keep on with the wok, add extra broth. As well as, we do a number of tastings for every dish to make sure that the sauce has the anticipated taste. when you like totally different flavors, you’ll be able to attempt to modify from there.
what I did immediately:
- fried tofu & shrimp sauce (tao hu music khuang)
- spicy fried pork salad (larb tord)
- South Thai model fried fish with turmeric (pla thod khamin)
- Thai-style salty black olive fried rice (khao pad nahm liap)
- coconut pancakes (ka nom ba-bin)
- beef stir fry with black pepper (neux waw pad prik thai dam)
- stir-fried rice noodles with tamarind sauce and soy sauce (mee krati)
- 2 salted Chinese language black olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small shallots, thinly sliced
- 30 grams of floor pork
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon mild soy sauce
- 2 small sizzling chili peppers
- 1/4 cup lengthy beans, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, minimize for garnish
- 1/4 cup roasted cashews
Though I actually loved the coconut pancakes, I believe my favourite dish immediately is South Thai model turmeric fried fish, Thai model salty black olive fried rice, and black pepper stir-fried beef. all had a lightweight and wholesome style to them, particularly the fish…oh so tender and succulent with great flavors from the turmeric and garlic…however I am going to go along with the thai model salty black olive fried rice . when all of it got here collectively, the flavors hit the spot immediately.
For the Thai-Fashion Salted Black Olive Fried Rice, you will want:
- warmth the garlic with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and fry the garlic till aromatic.
- add the pork and break it up, then add the black olives. prepare dinner till pork is completed.
- in the meantime, combine collectively the sugar, oysters, and soy sauce and put aside.
- add rice to wok, then sauce combination and blend nicely with different components in wok and prepare dinner till heated by means of, about 3 minutes.
- serve the fried rice on a serving plate, and place small mounds of chili peppers, lengthy beans, shallots, and lime across the perimeter.
the opposite dishes I made immediately:
Wow, that is all for immediately. I’ve a double Saturday session tomorrow. I’ll make 9 dishes! I am a little bit afraid of weighing myself… nicely, it is fairly an expertise! see you tomorrow.